Although the requirements to apply for an apprenticeship vary from trade and local, generally, you MUST:
- Have a Driver’s License
- Be 18 years old to go to work
- Have a High School Diploma of GED
- Have strong math skills
Some things to consider:
- High pay: Overtime is time and a half, or sometimes double time depending on the circumstances.
- HOWEVER, you should expect downtime. Building trades can be affected by rain or snow. This requires keen FINANCIAL PLANNING skills to plan for the days (and sometimes months) you may be out of work.
- Because you are PAID HOURLY, you don’t get PAID TIME OFF including vacation days, sick days, or paid leave for holidays.