Final Filing Date: January 1, 2021- 5:00 PM
PG&E HIRING APPRENTICE ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN (IBEW) – STORRIE
Power Generation maintains and operates PG&E’s hydroelectric, fossil and renewable generation facilities, providing more than 4,000 megawatts of generating capacity for our customers. We are an organization of nearly 700 men and women dedicated to deliver safe, reliable and cost effective generation to California in an environmentally responsible manner.
This is an IBEW Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
Click here for more detailed information about this opportunity.
Apprentice Electrical Technicians assist our team in safely operating and maintaining hydroelectric powerhouses and related facilities as well as the construction and project management expertise to expand and replace this infrastructure as needed. Other duties include installation, field testing, and maintenance of protective relay equipment, relay carriers, supervisory equipment, station apparatus, instruments, remote and local control devices and associated wiring.
Apprentice Electrical Technicians must be proficient in understanding and deciphering electrical drawing and schematics. You must be comfortable working from heights ascending and descending at high altitudes, around energized and/or large loud, vibrating mechanical rotating equipment. You must be able to maneuver frequently on stairs and ladders, over rock, gravel, and concrete, metal grating, scaffolding, and wood; which may include narrow and uneven surfaces; work in confined and awkward positions and drive and work in extreme weather conditions in remote work locations. Working environment may also include exposure to poison oak, snakes, ticks, spiders, rodents and insects.
The position will require travel between numerous site locations during work hours.
- Install, field test and maintain protective relay equipment, relay carriers, supervisory equipment, station apparatus, instruments, remote and local control devices and associated wiring
- Pack and move from ground, trucks, or platforms; lift, carry, and install various tools, parts, and equipment weighing up to 100 pounds on mountainous terrain, dams, canals, stairways, and ladders
- Use various safety equipment such as eye, ear, foot, hand protection, as well as fall protection equipment
- Work around chemicals, fuels, solvents, oils, acids, paints, and some substances identified in Proposition 65.
- Maneuver frequently on stairs and ladders, over rock, gravel, concrete, metal grating, scaffolding and wood; which may include narrow and uneven surfaces; possibility of ice, oil, and/or water on surfaces
- Operate a company vehicle
- Must work safely at all times as defined by PG&E’s safety standards and procedures
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess and a maintain a valid California Driver’s License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to lift 100 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- 2+ years experience testing protective relay equipment in a power station or high voltage substation
- Certified Journey Level Electrician
- Proficient in understanding and deciphering electrical drawings and schematics Demonstrated ability to complete detailed and intricate work requiring hand and eye dexterity, such as circuit boards and meter and relay movements
- To better represent the communities we serve within a timely manner, applicants who live within 60 miles of the headquarter location will be given preference.
- Process Instrumentation Calibration Experience
- Process Control Experience
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Apprentice Elec Tech Test – ETT
- Industrial Skills Test
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving