PG&E ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR
ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN (IBEW)
Final Filing Date: January 1, 2021- 5:00 PM
This is an IBEW Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining. This position may be subject to Joint Apprentice Training Committee (JATC) review and approval. Provisional hires will be required to participate in argeted training to achieve journey-level knowledge of electrical technician roles and responsibilities.
Click here for more detailed information about this opportunity.
Electrical Technician is expected to be proficient in the calibration, installation, maintenance, and operation of the following: protective relays and associated equipment which will ensure the efficient, safe, reliable, and NERC Reliability Standards compliant operation of PG&E and transmission networks. Responsible for performing work involving an extremely high degree of complexity, including troubleshooting, repairing, calibrating, and maintaining components of protective relay systems (microprocessor and electro-mechanical); substation and electric utility protection systems; station automation and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems.
The individual will work near energized equipment and be exposed to loud noises. This job requires the individual to comprehend various types of equipment labels, safety signs, learn and apply technical materials and complete daily logs.
Work can be outdoors and in all weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended hours; and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
- Completes all applicable documentation and test reports required to meet internal and Federal, State and local regulatory compliance.
- Performs electrical power switching.
- Performs applicable testing and troubleshooting, and applies configurations to remote control and data acquisition systems.
- Plans and schedules work, including submitting clearance applications to the Operations Control Center.
- Tests and commissions integrated and non-integrated electrical systems, i.e. switchgear, network relays.
- Directs and trains Electrical Technician apprentices.
- Performs programming, installation, calibration, testing, troubleshooting, maintenance and installation of electromechanical, solid state and microprocessor protective relays, automation and control systems, including synchronized end to end protection systems.
- Maintains and makes field revisions to engineering documents and drawings.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED
- Must possess and a maintain a valid California Driver’s License or ability to obtain on 1st day of hire
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Successful completion of an electrical technician apprenticeship
- 3 year experience testing protective relay equipment in a power station or a high voltage substation
- 3 years substation experience
- If hired as Provisional, must pass the provisional training plan within one year from hire date
- Four years of experience in relay and control
- High voltage electrical experience
- Ability to navigate and read information in MS Word and MS Excel
- Previous military experience in Power Production
- Apprentice Elec Tech Test Part A
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical /Technical Driving