What’s the value of the Women Building the Nation conference?
October 13-15, 2017
Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
- ♦This will be the seventh national multi-craft, union-sponsored conference held in the U.S. The North America’s Building Trades Unions (NABTU), AFL-CIO sponsors the conference with Chicago Women in the Trades will be the 2017 host committee. In addition, several international unions make donations to support the conference.
- ♦The six past national conferences were held in conjunction with the Women Building California conference held annually since 2002. The 2016 Conference brought together over 1500 tradeswomen from all over the United States and Canada as well as several foreign countries for more than three days of spirited and educational workshops and networking. For the 2017 Conference, the largest of its type in the world, we expect an even larger turnout.
- ♦It is often difficult for women to work in the trades because they find they are the only woman (or one of a very few) women out on the jobsite. Being in a room with 1,500 other tradeswomen who have a similar experience, is key to helping women break the isolation they may feel at work.
- ♦The conference has several workshop tracks: Just coming in —for pre-apprentices and new apprentices; Staying strong —including women’s committees, mentoring, safety and health, dealing with sexual harassment and bullying and more; Growing leaders—understanding how unions work, public speaking, parliamentary procedure; Policy impacting tradeswomen—PLAs, local and federal legislation; Career ladders—in the union as a contractor, higher education; and Nourishing Extras—union history, writing, social media, fitness….and much more. The goal of the workshops is to stay positive and look for solutions rather than griping about the present.
- ♦The conference costs are kept extremely low to enable as many women as possible to attend. The sponsoring organizations underwrite significant costs of this event. Early registration postmarked or submitted online by ____ is on $____ per person (with a discount for members of Building Trades-affiliated unions) and includes breakfasts and lunch on both Saturday and Sunday. The hotel rate is a low ____ per night and the event is held on the weekend minimize lost wages for those who attend.
- ♦This conference inspires the tradeswomen sent by Local Unions to feel even more positive about their Local Unions, to advocate for the building trades and to take more responsibility—on the job and in their unions.
- ♦For information about the 2017 Conference including registration and hotel accommodations as well as information and videos from the 2016 Conference, see www.chicagowomenintrades2.org